The arrival of a baby into the world brings with it a series of responsibilities and administrative procedures that every parent must carry out in order to register their child.
WHAT PROCEDURES MUST BE CARRIED OUT ONCE THE BABY IS DELIVERED
Once the baby is delivered , the first thing that will be issued to us will be a medical delivery report; a certificate stating the place, date and time of birth as well as the child’s sex and family information.
After this we will have to go to different administrative bodies . The first place to go is the Civil Registry of the child’s birthplace or the parents’ home to register the newborn. After this process, the registry will issue us the birth registration certificate.
YOU DON’T NEED TO USE A TRADITIONAL SPANISH NAME FOR YOUR BABY
Later, we must go to the family health center to be assigned a pediatrician and obtain the health card.
The registration procedures are usually carried out automatically, by communication from the Civil Registry to the corresponding City Council. However, due to the delays of the Administration, parents can process the application for registration with the City Council.
DEADLINES AND WHO CAN DO IT
Depending on the document that we intend to obtain, the terms and the person who can carry it out varies.
To obtain the birth certificate from the Civil Registry, a period ranging from 24 hours to eight days from the birth of the newborn is required . It can be done by either of the two parents in the event that they are married, otherwise both must go.
To register the baby in the Social Security, no specific deadline is required but it is advisable to do it as soon as possible to subsequently obtain the health card and assign a pediatrician to perform the second routine heel test and the first check-up of the child at 15 days of life . The procedure may be carried out by the father or mother who will make the child the beneficiary.
To acquire the health card at the family health center, the father or mother can go as the child is already registered with them. It is necessary to carry out this procedure before the child’s 15 days of life as we have said before.
To obtain the maternity and paternity benefit, the mother or father must go to the INSS according to the type of benefit to be requested . The term to request the benefit prescribes five years. Regarding the registration request, either parent can do it.
The necessary documentation varies depending on the procedures that we will carry out in each administrative body:
To register the child in the Civil Registry we need:
OBTAINING THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE FROM THE CIVIL REGISTRY REQUIRES A PERIOD RANGING FROM 24 HOURS TO EIGHT DAYS FROM THE BIRTH OF THE NEWBORN
2. In the case of not being married, they must present the previous documentation in addition to the final sentence of separation or divorce if they have had a previous marriage.
3. In case of widowhood , the death certificate must be provided in addition to the above documents .
With this we will have already registered the baby and we will obtain the birth certificate.
To register the child in the INSS offices we will need the following list of documents:
1. Certificate of birth registration that we have already obtained in the civil registry.
2. The holder’s social security card that will make his baby the beneficiary.
3. The completed membership form that will be provided to you at the INSS at the time.
With this, the baby will be discharged as the beneficiary of the father or mother and you will receive the necessary documentation to obtain the child’s health card.
To acquire the baby’s health card at the health center, it is necessary to present the following documents:
1. The documentation provided by the INSS when you registered as beneficiary.
2. Certificate of registration of the baby (in some cities it is not necessary).
3. DNI and health card of the father with whom the child is associated.
4. Application form for the health card for the baby that will be provided to you.
To register in the register of the corresponding City Council we need:
1. DNI of the father or mother .
2. Certificate of birth registration that we have already obtained in the civil registry or family book.
3. Certificate of registration (which is requested in the same town hall).
To obtain the maternity benefit in the INSS we must provide the following documentation:
2. Birth certificate from the Civil Registry and Family Book.
3. In case of being a salaried worker, certificate from the company.
4. In case of being a self-employed worker, last 3 self-employed pay receipts (provided by the bank).
5. Fill out the maternity application that they give you right there.
6. Fill in the form 145, which they give you right there.
7. Maternity leave report from the doctor who cared for the mother.
To obtain the paternity benefit, you will need the same previous documents with the exception of the medical report and the completion of the paternity application .
PROCEDURES AND DEADLINES
In the previous sections, the procedures and deadlines for registering a baby are specified, however the deadline for registering it may be extended for justified cause up to 30 days from birth, as stated in the registration.
CONSIDERATIONS TO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT
Most of the official documents and models of the administration can be downloaded from the official website of Social Security, as well as all the information and doubts regarding maternity and paternity benefits.
GO TO THE FAMILY HEALTH CENTER TO BE ASSIGNED A PEDIATRICIAN AND OBTAIN THE HEALTH CARD
Keep in mind that when choosing the name of the newborn in the corresponding civil registry, it is not necessary that you use a traditional Spanish name, with the freedom of movement of people in the European Union it is allowed to register that name that comes from other member countries .
Finally, it is possible to decide on the order of the baby’s surnames when we are going to register the baby, as long as it has been agreed between the father and the mother.
We recommend that you inform the Social Security, Civil Registry and City Council of your locality to save time, in order to have the necessary forms ready before the arrival of the newborn.