If you have just become a father and have a wonderful baby, don’t ever sleep on the couch with him. The figures are still terrible and it is that every year many babies die asphyxiated by their own parents while they fall asleep on the sofa. It is a real irresponsibility on the part of parents since they fall asleep without realizing that they can suffocate the baby with their own body. Then we will talk about the dangers and risks that the baby has of suffering a sudden death due to sleeping on the sofa with his parents.
A REAL DANGER FOR THE BABY
According to fairly recent and reliable data and reports, one in six infant deaths from the dreaded sudden death was due to the recklessness of parents sleeping next to the baby on the couch. That is why experts strongly advise against practicing this habit unless there is another person who is watching and who avoids such a fatal outcome. The danger of leaving the baby asleep on the breast is the fact that the father can suffocate it without being able to realize it.
Because of this, there are many voices that cry out against practicing co-sleeping. However, professionals do not advise against co-sleeping with babies as long as the necessary measures are taken so that a real misfortune does not end up happening. It is advised that until the baby reaches one year of age, parents avoid sleeping with him in bed as can happen on the sofa.
TIPS FOR CO-SLEEPING
If, despite the numerous warnings, you decide to co- sleep with your baby and sleep in bed or on the sofa, it is advisable to follow a series of guidelines or advice that allows you to avoid the sudden death of your baby.
- If you sleep next to the baby, it is convenient to keep him away from cushions and pillows to avoid any type of suffocation.
- It is important to ensure at all times that there is no danger of the baby falling out of bed or being trapped between the sofa and the wall.
- Bedding should not cover the baby’s face or head. That is why it is advisable to sleep without having anything in the bed.
- In the case of a premature baby or one born with fewer kilos than normal, it is not at all advisable to co-sleep or sleep with him on the sofa.
- If you have taken certain medications that can cause drowsiness, sleeping with your baby is not advisable .
- If you decide to put your baby on your chest while you are lying on the couch, there must be another person in front of you to prevent the baby from suffocating.
As you have seen, experts on the subject do not advise against putting the baby on the breast as long as the father does not end up sleeping next to his baby. In many cases, unfortunately, the father ends up sleeping, causing the feared sudden death of the baby. When in doubt, it is better to avoid it or hope that there is another person who can watch at all times that no misfortune occurs. In the same way, when it comes to co-sleeping with the baby, it is important and essential to take into account a series of safety measures that avoid that there may be an accident that endangers the life of the newborn.