The constipation refers to the problems encountered in the digestive system that affects the intestinal transit by reducing the time to be the bathroom. It can occur in both children and adults , but it has different effects depending on who it manifests in. The body of a child is not as developed as an adult , so it will not be able to withstand the effects of constipation. In the same way, the way to combat it will not be able to be the same for the same reason.
CAUSES OF CONSTIPATION IN CHILDREN
Before knowing how to combat constipation in children, you have to know what are the causes that may have caused it, in case it is something easy to avoid, remedy it as soon as possible.
1. Lack of fiber. In this case, childhood constipation can have the same cause as in adults. When the body does not have enough fiber , the intestinal system does not work properly.
2. Changes in routine. There are times in children’s lives when they go out of their comfort zone to face something new, like starting school. As they are not at home, it is possible that when they feel like going to the bathroom they will not do so and thus cause infant constipation.
3. Not drinking enough. Lack of fluid in the body causes problems with the creation of stools. These do not have enough fluid to form correctly and, it is possible, that their expulsion from the body is painful, causing the child to repress his urge to go to the bathroom to avoid that damage.
4. Medication. Many times, childhood constipation is caused as a side effect of some medication that children are taking at the time it appears.
TREATMENT FOR CONSTIPATION IN CHILDREN
The treatment must have a medical follow-up. Infant constipation always has a reason behind it that has caused it. Therefore, as soon as it is suspected that the child is not going to the bathroom as often, it will be necessary to go to the pediatrician to tell us what we can do . Even so, here we can give you some tips for treating constipation in children:
1. Drink more fluids. As we have already said in the causes, when the child does not drink enough water , the stool is not created correctly, which causes problems in its expulsion. Therefore, eating more fluids, or foods rich in water , will help combat dehydration that children may suffer in their body.
2. Eat foods rich in fiber. Foods such as legumes or vegetables are rich in fiber and, therefore, it would be good if they were included in the children’s menu. It may not be the most attractive food for them, so you will have to opt for more attractive ways for them to eat it. One of the easiest and simplest solutions is to use puree .
3. Play sports. Movement helps the intestinal system work better. Therefore, if we include physical activity in your day to day we will make your digestive transit much more regular, which will help combat constipation.
4. Create the routine of going to the bathroom. For the child to create the habit, it will be good that, every day, we always take him to the bathroom at the same time to be able to create this routine in him. You have to try to make it coincide with the hours when you are normally going to be at home so that they do not see the fact of not being at home as a problem. The best time is after eating .
5. Use medication. There are medicines like stool softeners and laxatives that help make going to the bathroom not painful for the child and that it doesn’t cost as much. To take it, you will have to follow the doctor’s instructions so that there is no problem with this treatment.