Despite being one of the most widely used drugs in the world, ibuprofen can be quite dangerous and counterproductive for the little ones in the house. According to some fairly reliable studies, the consumption of ibuprofen can complicate and worsen conditions such as otitis, tonsillitis or pharyngitis . Then we will talk about the risks and dangers that the intake of a drug such as ibuprofen has for children.
THE DANGERS OF IBUPROFEN
It has been shown that children who have taken ibuprofen as a solution to various conditions have come to suffer some other complications of a pulmonary or neurological type forcing their hospitalization. In such a case, experts strongly advise giving paracetamol priority when treating various ailments. In the event that the minor needs an anti-inflammatory to treat a certain condition, it is advisable to take the minimum dose in the shortest possible time.
HOW TO USE IBUPROFEN
Ibuprofen is a drug that is used to treat pain as occurs with paracetamol, although it stands out above all for its anti-inflammatory action. In the case of children, the aforementioned ibuprofen is used to treat fever and malaise in general. It is usually used in the form of syrup and the recommended dose is 20 mg per kilo of the child’s weight three times a day. It is not advisable to exceed this dose since otherwise it may cause some other complication in the child. The aforementioned dose is always calculated taking into account the child’s weight at all times. In the event that the child is less than two years old, the administration of the aforementioned drug must always be done under medical prescription and it is not advisable to give it until the baby has not reached 6 months of age.
PARACETAMOL OR IBUPROFEN
According to experts on the subject, both drugs should not be combined and only opt for one of them. Paracetamol is much more advisable to treat pain because it has fewer side effects. Ibuprofen can sometimes cause vomiting to pain in the stomach.
TIPS WHEN USING IBUPROFEN
If you have no choice but to give your child ibuprofen, you should follow a series of tips so that there are no health problems:
- If your child is less than two years old, the administration of the medicine should always be given under a medical prescription
- You must always calculate the dose very well to avoid future problems
- You have to wait about 6 or 8 hours before giving the little one another feed.
- If the little one has a fever, it is always good to opt for natural means to lower it. Ibuprofen is advisable to take only in cases of pain and general discomfort.
- Do not go over time and avoid overdoing it. That is why the ibuprofen-based treatment should last at most about three days .
- Ibuprofen should be kept out of the reach of children. The flavor tends to be liked by children and it is a danger for them to take it on their own.
As you have seen, it is not at all advisable to abuse ibuprofen when treating various conditions that the child may suffer from. It is not necessary to be alarmed since if it is taken according to what it says in the leaflet there should not be any type of problem. The danger appears when it is abused and used without taking into account the risks it poses to the child’s health . In many cases, exceeding its administration can worsen the conditions to be treated and endanger the health of the child.