When a woman becomes pregnant, one of the symptoms she thinks she may have is incontinence or urine leakage. Normally, this is usually related to the size of the baby throughout the pregnancy and the possible pressure that it can put on the bladder as it occupies more and more space. In truth, it is something that happens when a woman becomes pregnant , but it is best to take it normally. Here we are going to explain what the causes are and in what situations it can occur, as well as how to help you to carry it with total normality. Think that it is a symptom of pregnancy and that it does not occur during the entire duration of it.
CAUSES OF URINE LEAKAGE DURING PREGNANCY
Normally, women have urinary incontinence around the third trimester of pregnancy, although sometimes it may be that these urine losses begin to occur during the fifth or sixth month of pregnancy. It is something involuntary that cannot be avoided and that, in addition, can last until after you have given birth . Everything will depend on how long it takes for the pregnant woman’s body to return to normal. Even so, it is possible to establish some causes that will cause a woman to suffer from incontinence.
1. Increase in the size of the fetus. As the future child grows, little by little, within his mother he leaves little space for the organs that are close to him. One of the harmed is the bladder. As the baby increases in size, it notices greater pressure, causing the woman to frequently feel like going to urinate and, in turn, favoring urine losses.
2. Make some effort. As we have already said, the bladder is under pressure from the enlargement of the fetus, so the woman will have less control over it than usual. Actions as normal as bending over to get something, laughing, coughing or sneezing can be causes of urine loss since we do not have total control of our bladder.
3. Infections. In this case, urine leaks are not normal and incontinence may mean that something is not working as it should. Normally, these tend to be synonymous with the fact that there is a problem when they occur at the beginning of pregnancy since it is not the period in which it is expected that there will be some type of urine leakage. It is also possible that the loss of amniotic fluid or an excess of vaginal discharge can simulate incontinence, so we must be alert.
TIPS FOR URINE LEAKAGE DURING PREGNANCY
Although we have already said that incontinence is inevitable when the pregnancy is already advanced, it is possible to follow some tips to get them under control or, at least, not influence us in our day to day life. Even so, you should not worry about them, since it is something completely normal and that happens to all women during their pregnancy.
1. Do not drink anything spicy or caffeinated. These types of foods tend to irritate the bladder causing it to leak urine frequently. Therefore, we must remove coffee and other similar drinks from our diet, as well as those foods when the degree of spiciness is higher than normal.
2. Control your weight. Many times, during pregnancy, cravings, as well as an overly sedentary life, can cause a pregnant woman to gain weight. This means that the bladder has added pressure from the presence of the growing fetus itself.
3. Strengthen the pelvic floor. There are different exercises that can help a pregnant woman’s pelvic floor to strengthen in order to promote delivery and control urine leakage. This type of exercise can be done at any time , even in those moments that you feel incontinence.
4. Take care of your vaginal hygiene. When we do not have this part of the body properly cleaned, it is possible that an infection of the vaginal flora ends up leading to cystitis . It is important that you be careful with the products you use in that area , avoid soaps and any other similar product. Wash only with water.