There are people who think that the ideal is to start reading stories to children when they have already begun to speak or understand what is being said to them. But nothing is further from the truth, it does not have to be that way, far from it. What’s more, reading aloud and sharing stories with a baby is important from birth, plus it is very enjoyable for both the reader and the baby who hears the words.
WHY IS IT SO IMPORTANT TO READ TO A BABY FROM BIRTH
You may feel like you are making a fool of yourself by reading to your baby , because he is not paying attention to you and does not seem to understand a word of what you are saying. But you should not feel ridiculous doing it, since reading stories to your baby aloud will be helping him to develop by leaps and bounds, and also, to establish a much stronger affective and emotional bond with you.
By reading stories to your baby, you will be helping him to become familiar with sounds, with words, with language and also, with the joy of enjoying books and reading. All of this is accomplished by early reading to babies. Without realizing it, you will be helping your child to be successful in the future.
Reading history also stimulates your baby’s imagination and helps him learn about the world around him. It is a good time for you to connect with your baby and that you can also share quality time together.
TIPS FOR READING STORIES TO BABIES
Even the youngest babies can enjoy and learn from the experience of reading books with you. To achieve this, do not miss the following tips that will allow you to enjoy time with your baby while he develops thanks to you and the stories. For example, you can:
– Name the known things and the new ones. This can help your baby learn about sounds and words. The more words children hear, the more words and vocabulary they learn, even if they can’t speak yet!
– Change the tone of your voice as you read. This makes it easier for your baby to pick up and assimilate the different sounds of speech, an important step in learning to make sounds on his own in the future.
– Read slowly and spend time on each page after reading the words in the story. This allows your baby to begin to focus his gaze on specific points.
– Turn the pages when you are reading with your baby. This will show you how to use a book in the future and when you are older it will appear that you are doing so innately.
GENERAL TIPS FOR GETTING THE MOST OUT OF READING
It is necessary to take into account some general tips that will help you make the most of your reading time with your baby and that will undoubtedly be the best time invested.
– Establish a special space to read at home. For example, it can be a chair, in the living room or in a corner reserved for reading. What matters is that it is comfortable enough for you and your baby, with a box of books or bookshelf nearby.
– Create a routine and try to share at least one book every day or a few pages. For example, sharing a book can be a relaxing way to end the day and for your baby to connect with you and with your voice.
– Turn off the television or radio, and find a quiet space so that your baby can hear your voice. Of course, the mobile phone is totally prohibited when reading.
– Try fun noises and sounds to play and have fun while you are reading to your baby.
– Keep the baby close to you or on your knees while you read to him, this way he can see your facial expressions and also the pictures in the book.
– Remember to choose books suitable for babies.