When a woman becomes pregnant it will certainly be a wonderful time , especially if she is a woman who is looking forward to having children or who has been looking for pregnancy for some time. The usual thing is that if a woman becomes pregnant it is with a single baby, but in many other cases there are women who become pregnant with more than one baby, leading to a multiple pregnancy.
A pregnancy with a baby or more than one baby is a pregnancy after all , but are the symptoms of a multiple pregnancy different from those of a pregnancy with a single baby? The first symptoms of a pregnancy with twins or more than one baby are usually similar to those of a pregnancy with a single baby. However, there are some clues that you can take into account to know if you are really expecting more than one baby.
SIGNS OF PREGNANCY
There are many common signs of pregnancy both for a woman who is expecting only one baby and one who is expecting more than one. The signs that all women will feel are:
– Lack of menstruation . This signal will be present throughout the pregnancy, although some women feel that they have a kind of period while pregnant, but this is the shedding of the lining of the uterus. Although if you bleed while pregnant you should go to your doctor to see that everything is correct.
– Nausea. Many women experience morning sickness as well as in the evening or in the afternoon. Not all women experience nausea, but it is quite common for it to begin around two to eight weeks after conception and can last a few weeks, three months, or the entire pregnancy.
– Darkening of the areola. It is normal for the area around the nipple or areola to start to darken. It is especially noticeable during the first trimester.
– Breast pain. Breast pain is actually one of the most common signs of pregnancy, and women often notice it quickly. Breast tenderness and pain during pregnancy can resemble breast pain from ovulation.
– Very much urge to urinate. From the eighth week of pregnancy it is possible that a pregnant woman begins to notice that she has more desire to urinate than normal. As the pregnancy continues it is a symptom that worsens as the baby (or babies) grow.
These symptoms are the most common when a woman becomes pregnant, regardless of whether it is a single baby pregnancy or a multiple pregnancy. If you notice any of these signs, you can take a pregnancy test to find out if you are pregnant or not. Once you know if you are pregnant you will have to see your doctor.
PROBABILITY OF HAVING A MULTIPLE PREGNANCY
Since 1980 and until today, twin births have increased by no less than 70%. There are some factors that make you more likely to have a multiple pregnancy . Some of these factors are:
– Fertility treatment. The techniques of assisted reproduction and fertility drugs can help you be more likely to have a multiple pregnancy and you have twins, twins or more.
– Age. Women who are older than thirty may be more likely to have multiple pregnancies.
– Family history . If there are people in your family who have had twins or multiple pregnancies, you are more likely to have it too.
– Weight and height . Taller and thicker women may be more likely to have a multiple pregnancy.
– Get pregnant while breastfeeding . Some studies show that hormonal changes that a woman undergoes while breastfeeding can increase the chances of conceiving more than one baby.
– Second pregnancy. If you have been pregnant before, you are more likely to conceive more than one baby than if you are pregnant for the first time.
SYMPTOMS OF A MULTIPLE PREGNANCY
Most of the signs of a multiple pregnancy vary little from the symptoms of a single baby pregnancy. The main difference is the impact or intensity of the pregnancy symptoms.
Common pregnancy symptoms can be much more exaggerated in a woman who has a multiple pregnancy because the body produces many more hormones than the body of a woman carrying only one baby. Hormones can make symptoms feel more intense. Thus, the frequent need to urinate, fatigue, nausea, chest pains can be much more acute.
Some research has found that mothers who are pregnant with more than one baby can have much more nausea than women with only one baby. But the most important thing to know if you are really pregnant with more than one baby is to go to your gynecologist to listen to the heartbeat and to know if there is more than one.
Because even if you have a lot of nausea, drastic mood swings, that you are very tired … even if you feel very bad, it is possible that you have a single pregnancy and that it is not a multiple pregnancy.
Although there is another characteristic symptom of multiple pregnancy and that is that there is a rapid weight gain. Most women gain weight more slowly in the first trimester , but a woman who is pregnant with more than one baby can gain weight much more easily. Your doctor can tell you an average weight gain and know whether or not you are likely to be pregnant with more than one baby depending on the size of your uterus, your body weight and by measuring your belly.
Although the best way to know if you are pregnant with more than one baby is as I said above, to listen to the heartbeat. It is from twelve weeks when you can hear the heartbeat. Sometimes ultrasounds and ultrasounds can also work well to find out.