Food is the battlefield of many parents and while there are children who eat everything, there are others who have a terrible time every time they have to try something new. If this problem becomes quite worrisome, it is likely that your child suffers from neophobia, or what is the same fear of the new. This phobia is quite common among children and makes parents despair. Then we will talk much more about this kind of phobia and what you should do so that the child ends up trying everything.
WHAT IS NEOPHOBIA
As we have already mentioned, neophobia is an aversion to trying new foods. In relation to babies, there are scientific studies that indicate that little ones are born with a protective instinct against new foods, so it is normal that at first they reject everything new and need some time to eat them. Neophobia occurs especially in children, although it can be suffered by anyone. Experts on the subject point out that neophobia is related to a poor and unbalanced diet rich in unhealthy fats.
CAN NEOPHOBIA BE AVOIDED?
When it comes to preventing neophobia in children, it is very important to instill eating habits from a young age that help them eat everything without problem of whether it is a new food or not. It is essential that parents always lead by example and try new foods in front of the little ones in the house.
Below we are going to give you a series of guidelines or tips that can help parents prevent the appearance of possible neophobia in children:
- Diet is the key to preventing the child from suffering from neophobia. It should be as varied and balanced as possible so there should be no lack of fruit , vegetables, fish or meat.
- From time to time it is good to prepare dishes that combine varied flavors so that the little one in the house can try them and get used to their taste.
- It is highly recommended to leave the little ones in the house to touch the food so that they become familiar with it.
- Never force a child to taste food . If you force him to eat something he doesn’t want, you’re only going to make him reject you a lot more.
- Parents should have some patience in getting their child to try a new food . According to experts, a child comes to accept a food after having tried it about 10 times or so .
THE IMPORTANCE OF DIET DURING PREGNANCY AND LACTATION
Diet plays a very important role during pregnancy and breastfeeding. That is why it is essential that the mother has a healthy and balanced diet since the different flavors pass to the fetus through the amniotic fluid. Once the fetus reaches the second trimester of pregnancy, it begins to experience various sensations and feel something.
At the time of breastfeeding, the milk that the baby takes will change flavor according to the diet followed by the mother. This is good since the baby can identify different flavors and be much less reluctant to try them in the future.
As you have seen, it is possible to prevent a problem such as neophobia. Children should follow a varied diet from a very young age to avoid later rejecting foods that they should eat, such as vegetables or fruit.